Monday Memo: Review Airchecks… Later.
By Holland Cooke
BLOCK ISLAND, RI — The radio coaching concept seems quaint now:
- The single-station PD (remember them?) met with local talent (remember them?) at regular intervals to review a recent show. As a young DJ, I was fortunate enough to work for two PDs who sat me down weekly.
- Most important thing I learned? Each bit has a beginning, middle, and end.
Back to the future:
- Whole-cluster “Brand Managers” have replaced PDs, mostly managing feeds from syndicated and/or voice-tracked talent.
- For remaining station-based talent, routine critique is unlikely. That manager is just TOO busy, and might lack the chops.
- The product suffers, from content of questionable interest, and unkempt execution that tests listeners’ patience.