By Steve Lapa
Lapcom Communications Corp
The announcement surrounding the “Today” concept in the App Store is particularly relevant to the radio business.
Apple will open the door to approved advertisers who will soon be able to market in the editorial content in the App Store. You will see the marketing as it sits on the “Today” page and motivates another level of call-to-action.
Wait! Did Apple just super-size one of the foundational elements of radio advertising dating back to the starting blocks? Isn’t this the essence of radio marketing at the local level? Copywriting 101 and sales 101 intersect at the call-to-action page. We’re looking down the barrel of the very essence of almost every radio local sales call.
Your air talent and production teams are totally schooled in this basic component of most creative, right? Or are you still locking down those live reads with “Tell ‘em ____ sent ya.” Or “tell ‘em you heard it on XXXX.”
Of course you want the credit for the result when proper attribution pays with renewals. Apple may have just opened your thinking to the multi-million dollar payoff they are looking for. Not the same, you say?
Let’s learn from one the biggest companies in the world:
- Urgency sells. If the creative is compelling and the offer is right, results will follow.
- “Today” or “Now” works. Does either word appear in your campaigns?
- Talk to your clients. When results fade, work with your local sponsors to enhance the urgency/call to action creative.
- Take nothing for granted. Sometimes we forget the very fundamental reason local advertisers use radio: results today.
- Sharpen your skills. I’ll bet it’s been a while since you’ve practiced how and when to integrate the urgency or call-to-action concept.
- Use examples. Proof works at every level, especially when your story is relatable.
Sometimes it takes a giant like Apple to shake us out of our sales comfort zone. They plan to cash large checks with a new focus on moving the action needle every day. How about you?
Steve Lapa is the president of Lapcom Communications Corp. based in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. Lapcom is a media sales, marketing, and development consultancy. Contact Steve Lapa via email at: Steve@Lapcomventures.com