WIBC, Indy Lets Rob Kendall Go
Two days ago, TALKERS reported that WIBC, Indianapolis late morning host Rob Kendall had been ordered off the air at the Urban One news/talker but was still on the payroll. Now, TALKERS learns via Kendall’s Facebook post that he has been let go. He writes I his post: “Today was my last day as a part of 93.1 WIBC. I want to thank the literally hundreds of thousands of you who became a part of my radio family the
last 9 years. Being your voice, using my platform to speak up for you, to take on the powerful, the connected, the politicians, has been the greatest honor of my professional life. You have responded with incredible ratings and support of our advertisers that stood behind me. In the process we have formed an unbreakable bond. In the end, the show was always about us. In a battle together. I also want to thank those of you who have written letters in support of me the last 3 weeks. I was so moved by the outcry demanding this beautiful thing we’ve forged together keep going at the place we made it happen. If you want the answers why it will not occur, that’s a question for Urban One. We have some amazing things coming soon! Our bond is so much bigger than any singular platform or frequency. You have proven that in recent weeks. I can’t wait to tell you all about our new opportunities together in the near future. In the meantime, thank you for all YOU have given to me the last 9 years. Your loyalty and dedication allowed me to live out my boyhood dream. I will never be able to thank you enough.” Kendall hasn’t publicized his plans for the future but appears to be leaning toward a digital platform as he’s continuing to post Indiana and Indianapolis news via social media.
After 40 years on the air in the Rochester market, legendary radio personality Brother Wease is exiting iHeartMedia’s talk WAIO-FM where he’s been hosting the late morning show for the past two years (he’d been hosting the morning drive show there since November of 2008). According to the Democrat & Chronicle, Brother Wease told his audience that the company is flipping the talk station to rock and he, along with air personality Deanna King, are being let go. Brother Wease launched his on-air career on rock WCMF in 1984 in overnights and moved to morning drive in 1985. The show took off and became a highly successful one in the market for years. He left WCMF in late 2007 after contract talks with then-Entercom broke down and resurfaced on WAIO.
WPEN-FM 97.5 The Fanatic on August 8 after almost a year back behind the mic at the station. Missanelli joined sister rock WMMR’s Kathy Romano – a cast member of the “Steve and Preston Show” – was also let go. Beasley issued the following public statement: “We are very grateful for his contributions to the station and our listeners, and we wish him all the best.”
the Cumulus Media news/talk station on November 7. Sutton began working full time at the station in 1997. He tells WHTM that he does not plan on retiring. “Tomorrow is the first time in 52 years that I don’t have to work, but I hope that doesn’t last long because I am not retiring. God is in control, and I know there are new opportunities ahead and a new chapter in my life.” Sutton says he and producer Mark McKenzie were dismissed due to budget cuts.
Moberly, Missouri – including news/talk KWIX – have been let go and all programming is now syndicated. The same is being reported about the company’s stations in the Farmington/Festus, Missouri market that includes news/talk KJFF. KOMU-TV reports that Moberly market manager Bob Dakin would not comment on how many employees were let go but confirmed that all local programming – including news and sports – is being replaced by national content.
told by Audacy management he’s being let go as the company is looking for a change in middays and wants a “less caller-driven show.” Kentera adds, “I prepare like crazy, I think my show is good, well-received, so I was stunned when I was told I was being fired.” The 65-year-old Kentera has been in radio for 40 years, the last four with KWFN-FM and says he does not plan to retire. “I’m going to look for an opportunity in sports… in or out of the radio business. I’m not done yet.”
McCaffrey has been co-host of the “Murph and Mac” show with Brian Murphy, who appears to still be employed with the station. The dismissal of Santangelo spells the end of the evening call-in show that’s been part of the station for the past 51 years. Station program director Adam Copeland– who also co-hosts the afternoon show with Tom Tolbert – said on the program, “It’s been a really difficult day. I love this building, I love this station, I love working with you, Tom, and I’ve listened to you for years. I love a lot of people. I love the guys we let go of today. I’m looking forward to the future, but I really think we need to tip our cap and applaud the work that those guys have done.”
with Scott Hastings and Tyler Polumbus for the 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm “P.H.D.” show. The 24-year Denver sports radio pro was let go from Bonneville’s KKFN-FM “104.3 The Fan” in September. KSE Radio SVP/GM Dave Fleck comments, “We are excited to add Darren to our new and improved midday P.H.D. show. He is a respected member of the community whose work ethic and passion for broadcasting will help take our radio stations to new heights. Having DMac as part of ‘Altitude Sports Radio’ allows us to reconfigure our daily lineup while adding a great voice to the station.”
Many years ago, I received a late-night call from a legendary radio talk show host who had just been let go by management at the iconic major market station where he had been presiding over the airwaves for several decades. His ratings had begun to downtrend a bit, but he still was a big draw for audience and advertisers. He was one of the biggest names in talk radio history and his still-sizable audience loved him. Thus, the unexpected news of his severance blindsided him with a wallop and surprised the heck out of the biz. Everyone was buzzing about it.